Friday 17 January 2014

Flash Augmented Reality Tutorial


"Augmented reality (AR) is a live, copy, view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented (or supplemented) by computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data."

Augmented Reality may just be a fad marketing tool to some, or the next big thing to others, but wherever your opinion falls on this debate there is no denying one simple fact, Augmented Reality is cool.

As I spend a fair amount of my own free time developing in Flash, I looked for an open source plug-in to help me create my own AR pieces, and whilst doing so I also stumbled across this create tutorial by Jonathan Reid. It talks you through all the steps in creating your own piece, and at the same time it arms you will all the tools you need to take it further.

It does require you to know a little AS3, and you will need to download flARToolkit, which is the flash version of the C-coded augmented reality library known simply as ARToolkit.

Put simply though, a great tutorial, and a great place to start.

The tutorial can be found HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment